MPSEOC Counselor Update
October 25, 2017
This is just a quick announcement to “Mark Your Calendars” for the MPSEOC Counselor Update. Look for a postcard coming to you in the mail soon with more details!
We hope to see you at this annual event that connects the 25 Montana colleges and the Montana high school counselors!
More information @ http://www.mpseoc.org/counselor-update.html
Is there any advice you would give to an admissions counselor on connecting with prospective students? (*This answer was written more than once)
Please share any other thoughts, ideas or feedback on how the colleges can better serve you and your students.
MPSEOC Counselor Update | 2016
See you soon!
Just a quick reminder about tomorrow’s MPSEOC 2016 Counselor Update (Wednesday, October 26, 2016 from 10 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.)!
Thank you again for registering for this annual event. We have a wonderful day planned with many great updates for you from the Montana Colleges, Universities, GEAR UP, MASFAA, MUS-Student Financial Services, OCHE, OPI, RHM, MPSEOC, and many more!
A little over a week ago, we emailed all the details for the site that you registered. If you misplaced that email and need to access that detailed information, you can simply click the link below for the location you will be attending. We are excited to see you!
Confirmation Forms for each of the nine sites are available at the following web links: (These forms will give you a few more specifics about the site you have registered to attend—directions, parking, agenda, etc.)
We look forward to seeing you tomorrow. Just let us know if you have any questions.
Safe travels and have a great rest of the day!
Amy M Leary______________________________
Montana Post Secondary Educational Opportunities Council
Hello MPSEOC Membership!
Here are the details for the 2016 MPSEOC Counselor Update.
Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback. Due to an earlier date for this event this year, we are pushed a bit more with timelines. Therefore, please make a special note of the deadline of October 7, 2016 to submit the following to us:
· Submit registration for your campus
· Update your campus handout from last year (that we will print for all counselors and attendees.)
· Let us know who from your campus will be presenting?
· From which site will your representative be presenting?
· We will send further details about the site you choose to attend once we have the above information. Thank you for your efforts to submit this information by October 7, 2016.
· Specific details about the Counselor Update are outlined below. Thank you for your good work and collaborative efforts to keep our Montana counselors updated!
The 2016 MPSEOC Counselor Update has been scheduled for Wednesday, October 26, 2016 from 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. An invitation has been sent to all Montana counselors to attend this annual event. Being that each year the scheduling for this event is restricted due to the large number of METNET Sites we need to use, there is not a lot of choice in the day for this event. Therefore, I realize that this may not be the best time for each of you, but it is one of the few times available for this year. Important information about the Counselor Update process is outlined below. Please read all points carefully, for we do have a few changes to the presenting format this year.
· You are invited to present! You are invited to present at this year’s Counselor Update! You should have already received our invite by email and in the mail, but please just let us know if you have any further questions.
· NEW! Presenting Model | Share Your Campus’s “Top 5 Updates” – Please review the attached file | “New Tips On How To Present Successfully.” After reviewing much feedback on how we can create a more efficient, engaging way to share updates, we have decided to try a new way of sharing presentations. Instead of reading your handout or trying to mention everything on your campus, counselors have shared that they would appreciate a more outlined approach in your presentation. Therefore, this year we are asking everyone to share their “TOP 5” points about your campus. They can be any five categories you feel most important. However, we would like you to clearly outline the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, points in your presentation. We will also complement this new model by having a “TOP 5” outline for counselors to take notes of your five important points while you are talking (in addition to your printed campus page.) As you create your “TOP 5” list of updates, please keep in mind that there have been many special requests by counselors across the state to make sure you include your major scholarship deadlines in this presentation and/or on your sheet of information.
· 2015 Counselor Update Handout Packet – This is a copy of last year’s packet that we will need to update for this year. Please find your institutions page in the file @ http://montanacolleges.com/counselorupdatepacket.pdf . If you have changes from last year, please email me your changes to this page by no later than Friday, October 7, 2016. These changes can simply be sent to me in an email, but please be as clear as possible on what changes you would like made. If we do not receive updates, we will use the same sheet from last year. Thank you!
PRESENTATION SUPPORT FEE
$150 Presentation Fee (to help with the increasing cost of using MET NET and the catering costs)
Thank you for your help in the increasing costs of this annual Counselor Update. Most of you have already submitted your payment, but if you still have not paid the $150 presentation fee, you can do so by visiting www.MontanaColleges.com/purchase and click on “Counselor Update” in the middle of the page to pay with a credit card. Or, you can mail a check to: MPSEOC, P.O. Box 7547, Missoula, MT, 59707. Thank you!
We will be broadcasting the Update to the following areas:
| Great Falls
| Miles City
As in the past, you may present at the site most convenient for you. I will be sending you a more detailed confirmation depending upon which site you choose to attend. Please respond to this e-mail no later than Friday, October 7, 2016 with the following:
1. The name and title of the person presenting from your campus
2. The site that person plans to attend
3. Updated Information for the handout (see below)
MPSEOC would like to continue this event as an opportunity for counselors to hear from Directors. However, most counselors really care that they get accurate information from a campus professional. If the Director-type person is not available on your campus, please select another staff member who will be the most knowledgeable and feel comfortable presenting on Met Net.
Presenting Model | Share Your Campus’s Top 5 Updates – After reviewing much feedback on how we can create a more efficient, engaging way to share updates, we have decided to try a new way of sharing presentations. Instead of reading your handout or trying to mention everything on your campus, counselors have shared that they would appreciate a more outlined approach in your presentation. Therefore, this year we are asking everyone to share their “TOP 5” points about your campus. They can be any five categories you feel most important. However, we would like you to clearly outline the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, points in your presentation. We will also complement this new model by having a “TOP 5” outline for counselors to take notes of your five important points while you are talking (in addition to your printed campus page.) As you create your “TOP 5” list of updates, please keep in mind that there have been many special requests by counselors across the state to make sure you include your major scholarship deadlines in this presentation and/or on your sheet of information.
Each campus will have 5-7 minutes to present information about the campus and programs (and I will try my best to hold you to that time limit being that it is a very long day for counselors to listen to everyone’s updates). In an effort to streamline the process and make it most useful for counselors, I am including a list of topics that you should be sure to cover. Please spend some time thinking about these topical areas and planning your presentation to focus on your “TOP 5 Updates.”
| Based on feedback from previous years, counselors really appreciate when you can focus on what makes your campus different. That is, what is a “typical” student and what programs are most popular?
| Give them some talking points that they will remember, and they can use with students.
| Also, counselors would prefer if you share more than just the information they will be receiving on the handout. You are welcome to distribute any information that you think counselors would find helpful, but we would ask you to use the “TOP 5 Update” approach to make it more clear.
Like in previous years, I will put together one handout with everyone’s general information. That way, counselors can have it all in one place, follow along, and take notes. Please email any revisions to last year’s sheet (see the attached file “2015 Counselor Update Packet” and find your institution’s page.) to me no later than Friday, October 7, 2016. Again, please keep in mind that this is the handout from last year (2015’s version), so you can see what information was provided for your campus, and you can use it as a guide to send me changes for this year’s handout.
This event has been a great way to reach the majority of counselors across the state each year. We look forward to having your school a part of this information-sharing session once again. I will be in touch with you again soon especially with some of you to get your help in making local arrangements (food, etc). Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Many thanks and have a great day!
2016 MPSEOC Counselor Update
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
You are invited! This is just a quick announcement to “Mark Your Calendars” for the MPSEOC Counselor Update on Wednesday, October 26, 2016. For more information, visit: http://montanacolleges.com/update.
This event is a great opportunity to connect with the Montana colleges, universities, state agencies, and the Montana high school counselors! Please let us know if you have any questions or would like to attend!
DATE: October 22, 2015
OCTOBER 22, 2014
| All 25 Montana Colleges and University MPSEOC Members are invited to present at this annual event! |
| Here is your chance to reach almost all Montana High Schools and most of the Montana High School Counselors in this one event! |
| 9 Different Sites Across Montana |
| Bozeman, Billings, Great Falls, Havre, Glasgow, Miles City, Helena, Missoula, Kalispell |
| REGISTER TODAY TO RESERVE YOUR PLACE AT THIS EVENT! |
*Montana Colleges help support the costs of this event with a $150.00 Presentation Fee.
Thank you for your support and help!
You Are Invited!